A cage fighting competition is to take place in Dublin this Saturday, a month after a Portuguese MMA fighter tragically died following a fight at the National Stadium in April.
Joao Carvalho died from injuries sustained at an MMA event in Dublin last month where he suffered a technical knockout loss to Charlie “The Hospital” Ward in their welterweight contest.
A portion of the profits made at the event will go towards the repatriation of Mr Carvalho’s body back to Portugal.
The event page says there there are no MMA bouts on the card, “but well-known Irish MMA names Philip Mulpeter and Conor Dillon appear on the card in ADCC [Abu Dhabi Combat Club] rules grappling bouts.”
The Cage Ring Championship event will take place in the Wright Venue.
Organiser Pawel Tomczyk told The Irish Times the event is set to go ahead this Saturday.
It was due to take place at the Wright Venue on April 14th but had to be cancelled after the insurance company pulled out of the event at the last minute.
An online crowdfunding page set up to help bring Mr Carvalho’s body home to Portugal has raised over £2,000.
Two teens accused of robbing and shooting a former UFC fighter and his son will be arraigned today. The fighter who was shot was three fight UFC veteran Mikey Burnett. He hails from the early era of the UFC, with bouts dating back to 1998 and 1999. Comments comments