Christy Mack Reads Graphic, Emotional Testimony At War Machine Trial

Yesterday, former UFC and Bellator fighter Jon ‘War Machine’ Koppenhaver was sentenced to 36 years to life in prison for the brutal 2014 assault on ex-girlfriend Christy Mack.

The trial put to rest (at least in some sense) three years of unrest after Mack survived multiple serious injuries and had her life flipped upside down by the event, for which Koppenhaver was convicted on 29 of his 34 charges including kidnapping and sexual assault.

Mack, whose real name in Christine Mackinday, was present at the sentencing, and read a lengthy testimonial while breaking down several times at the emotional scene. Find out what she had to say below (transcribed by MMA Junkie):

“I just wrote this last night. I’ve been putting it off, obviously. It’s been a really long three years, and I’m so ready for this to be over, and this is the last thing I’m going to say about this case and about how this has affected me personally.
(Reading from letter)
“Last night, I looked back through my journals at the things I had written when I had just needed to get the words out. I kept them so I didn’t actually have to speak the words that I knew were wrong. In reviewing them, I thought it would help me refresh my memory of what it felt like three years ago when everything was so fresh. But as I looked through them, I realized I didn’t need a crash course in my consciousness from years ago. I still carry all those same feelings and memories that I have today.
“I love Jon, and I know in some way he loved me, too. We were far from a conventional couple in an ordinary relationship. We didn’t have normal jobs. We didn’t keep normal hours. We had the opportunity to spend copious amounts of time together, and we shared every aspect of our lives with the entire world. When we met, I wasn’t looking for a relationship or any sort of companionship at all. I was sick the day we worked together; he seemed genuinely concerned for my well-being and continued to check on me for days after. When I felt better, he made plans to see me in (Las) Vegas, and after that the first three months that we were together were beautiful. He was so interesting to me. He was full of energy and so passionate about everything. I was drawn to his tenacity, and Jon was different from anyone I had ever known.
“After the first few months, things began to change. It started with just a slap and rapidly became exponentially worse. I’ve had my head split open from somersaulting into a fireplace. I’ve experienced being lifted from my throat countless times, choked unconscious, or dragged around by my head. I’ve been punched and kicked, smothered and bitten. I have been raped and tortured. (I remember) taking a breath for a scream, only to be met with a hand over my nose or mouth, not knowing if I will ever be able to breathe again. It’s the most terrifying experience of my life, and I was met with this more times than I can count, and I still cry every time I think about how it feels. I flinch when anyone puts their hand near my face. I hold my breath when I hear an unfamiliar noise. I become nearly unconsolable when I hear parents chastise their children, because they’re just saying words that I would hear from my abuser – constantly berating me, asking me what I was sorry for, asking me why I was crying, asking why I had to do these actions. He hit me or smothered me until I stopped crying or passed out.
“Now I feel uncomfortable around men or people in general. I don’t leave my house unaccompanied if at all possible. I have shortened my list to about five trusted people, so that means not leaving the house for days or weeks at a time. I began going to the gym recently and got a trainer as a way of trying to get out of my house, because I know that’s not a way to live.
“I would say these things because I feel I should be generally safe in my house, but that’s not true. I’ve had the police come out more than once for not knowing if the noise I heard was something benign or somebody trying to kill me. I can’t function in a normal way daily any more. I don’t see my friends, and I don’t have relationships. My family has noticed a difference in me and have experienced their own changes. My mother moved to Las Vegas with me when I came from Indiana. She lived with me and watched my relationship with Jon from beginning to end. When I went to the hospital, she truly felt responsible and blamed herself for not reporting the abuse that she had witnessed. As I lay in a hospital bed, she came and I told her not to cry. I hadn’t seen myself, but I knew that I was bloody. From that day, we’ve both lost about 30 pounds each. We both become instantly afraid of our surroundings, and we never truly felt safe again.
“Over the years, I’ve tried to regain my independence. I live alone now, with an advanced security system, and I get to travel sometimes, though never alone. If I go for more than 12 hours without speaking to my mother, she fears the worst. She has to make sure I haven’t been forc



Subscribe to our newsletter

closed x

Subscribe to our newsletter