McGregor reached the summit of the UFC’s super-stacked lightweight division 14 months ago in the main event of UFC 205, the promotion’s first card in New York City.
The much-loved Irishman has yet to defend his 155lbs title, a fact he’s regularly been reminded about by his rivals.
His failure to do so has irked many in the UFC, including the promotion’s president Dana White.
Earlier this month, White revealed that McGregor is targeting a September return to the Octagon and that his proposed plans for his long-awaited comeback fight could result in him being relieved of his title.
"Conor has said that he's thinking about coming back in September," White said this past weekend.
"If he comes back in September, that's almost two years – that can't happen. It's not fair to everybody else.
"Love Conor, respect Conor, love everything that he's done for this company – everybody knows that; I say it all the time – the belt would have to move on."
White doubled down on his recent statement on McGregor’s title reign during an appearance on the Toucher & Rich Show in Boston on Wednesday morning, warning ‘The Notorious’ that he can no longer slow down the progression of the lightweight division.
"There are a lot of guys that I have to deal with every day who aren't worth the aggravation. This kid [McGregor] is worth the aggravation," White said.
"I have so much respect for him, in what he's accomplished and what he's done.
“If he wants to ride off into the sunset with his money for the rest of his life then I don't blame him.
"But if he wants to come back and fight, we'll get him back in. He just can't hold the division hostage for almost two years."