Conor McGregor scored one of the knockouts of the year at UFC 193, and on March 5th he’ll try to become a two-division champion in a bout with UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.
Both fighters, along with Holly Holm and Miesha Tate, attended a pre-UFC 197 press conference Wednesday afternoon, and McGregor lived up to his reputation as one of the best talkers in the business.
- “I will behead Rafael dos Anjos. I will drag his head through the streets of Rio de Janeiro. Through a parade of people, I’d imagine. It will become a national holiday.”
- “This man across from me has a title. He has nothing else but that. He is a free-TV fighter.”
- “I put him in that seat. I tell him what to do…. You’re here because I put you here.”
- “I see a gazelle up here, limping.”
- “We’re sending Rafael on a four-day media run throughout Brazil in a couple of weeks, and we’ve got to book him a hotel. I’ve got to book him a hotel in his own home country. That should tell you all you need to know. He will never step off a plane and receive a hero’s welcome in the country of Brazil.”
- “I’ll be fresh after [UFC] 197. I believe I will dust Rafael inside one minute. He is a slower, sloppier version of Aldo. He’s like a bum version of Aldo.”
- “You can talk about your wins and losses, but at the end of the day you’ve tasted that darkness of being KO’d stiff, and you will taste it again on March 5th.”
- “I can only imagine the state Rafael is in coming back-to-back [weight] cuts…. Just looking at him, he’s aged 25 years in the last two weeks.”
- “He’s 5-foot-8 with a 70-inch reach. I’m 5-foot-9 with a 74-inch reach. I’m the bigger man. I’m going to bully this man in his own division.”
- “You stay quiet while I speak. I’m the king.“
- “This is a superfight. I look up on that poster, I see myself tucked in the back there. I see a guy, his last gate was $1.7 million. He fought on free TV. He’s never brought a dime to the company. He’s never made a dime, yet he is sitting there on the front of my poster. I think that’s a department that needs to be looked at. Somebody’s sleeping on the job.”
- “I’m speaking Spanish. I’m dressed like El Chapo in his prime. I’m running this company…. I’m up here verbally destroying this man. I am a multicultured individual.”
McGregor, who rarely allowed dos Anjos to finish a thought before interrupting, also called himself a god, and revealed that since he’s moving up in weight, he’s adopted the Jim Harbaugh diet of endless steaks.
- “Steaks every day for me. Steaks for breakfast. Steaks for lunch. Steaks for brunch. Grass-fed, massaged. Beef. All day long.”
- “Me and Jesus are cool. I’m cool with all the gods. Gods recognize gods.”
- “2015 was my year. 2016 is also my year. Every year is my [expletive] year.”
- “I come in here, I cash checks and I transfer them into Euro, and head back to my home country with all the money.”
- “I am out on my own. I am in a league of my own. The game… the game is on its knees. The game must hold seminars every weekend to pay for the training costs, and I’m out here rallying around California in a car that spits fire, dressed like El Chapo, with anacondas on my feet.”
The press conference ended with a stare-down between the two fighters, and dos Anjos refused to shake McGregor’s hand.