Namibian boxer Jonas Junias Jonas, 22, is accused of trying force a kiss upon a woman at the athletes’ village and offering her money in exchange for sex.
A second Olympic boxer has been arrested on suspicion of attempted rape, it has been reported.
Namibian flag-bearer Jonas Junias Jonas, 22, is accused of trying force a kiss upon a woman at the athletes’ village and offering her money in exchange for sex.
Jonas is being held at Recreio police station and instead of competing on Thursday against the French boxer Hassan Anzill he now faces being locked up in the high security Bangu prison.
According to The Sun, Detective Rodrigo Amorim said: “I can confirm that a Namibian athlete named Jonas Junias Jonas was arrested this morning on suspicion of attempted rape of a female in the Olympic Village.
“The accused has been detained in Recreio police station and unless he gets habeas corpus he will be transferred to prison in Bangu later today.”
Jonas who won a silver medal at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, is being held just days after it was claimed Moroccan boxer Hassan Saada, also 22, arrested on suspicion of attempted rape in the athlete village
An Olympic boxer has been arrested on suspicion of attempted rape in the athlete village, accused of sexually attacking two Brazilian chambermaids.
The athlete, named as Moroccan boxer Hassan Saada, was detained earlier this morning, just hours before the Rio 2016 opening ceremony.
Police officers from the Recreio police station apprehended the athlete following the alleged attack on Wednesday.
It was claimed he tried to get one of the women to pose for a ‘selfie’ with him before asking if she was on social media.
He then pushed her up against the wall and tried to kiss her, it was alleged.
He is also accused of sexually assaulting the second woman by groping her breasts. He then allegedly made sexually-graphic gestures towards the maid and offered her money to perform a sex act upon him.
The boxer will now no longer compete in the games.
Police chief Eduardo Ozório said the athlete had been detained after his officers had gathered evidence.
Lightweight boxer Saada was set to compete against Turkish athlete Mehmet Nadir in the preliminary rounds tomorrow.
The 22-year-old was competing in the 81 kg category and was meant to be Morocco’s first athlete to compete in this year’s Games.
Detective Rodrigo Amorim from Recreio Police Station in the west of Rio said: “I confirm that the Moroccan boxer, Saada Hassan, 22, was arrested today on suspicion of attempted rape of two Brazilian women.
“He has been detained in prison and there is no date as yet for his release.”
A judge in Rio ruled he must be held for 15 days while the claims are investigated. It means that he cannot compete tomorrow and will miss the entire Olympic competition.
It is understood Hassan also had his accreditation removed.
A spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee said: “We are aware that an athlete has been taken into police custody today. Rio 2016 is following-up to assist with the investigation and keeping us informed.”.
Police chief Eduardo Ozório said the athlete had been temporarily detained at the Olympic village – home to around 18,000 athletes and officials.
Det Rodrigo Amorim added: “Moroccan boxer, Saada Hassan, 22, was arrested on suspicion of attempted rape of two Brazilian women. He has been detained in prison and there is no date as yet for his release.”
Rio Judge Nunes Saly has formally contacted the Moroccan Ambassador about the allegations. She told O Globo newspaper: ‘It has been necessary to arrest Hassan Saada to investigate the allegations against him.
“If he was at liberty there would be a risk that he could interfere with witnesses. And there is a risk that Hassan Saada could reoffend.’
The judge said laws apply to everyone – Brazilians and visitors alike, and ‘everyone must obey the law’.
Police investigators have seized some of Saada’s personal property to assist their investigation.
The boxer had been scheduled to fight in his first bout on Saturday August 6 against Turkish competitor Mehmet Nadaradade Unal.
Saada and two other Moroccan competitors had threatened not to come to Rio 2016 in a bid to get a bigger pay award, according to Moroccan newspaper Le Matin.
An earlier profile of the boxer on the International Boxing Association website describes the fighter as a ‘newcomer to the international scene’.
It added: “Saada consistently excelled at Youth level in Morocco, and is one of the biggest success stories from the Chaouia B Boxing Club.
“Big things are expected from the 21-year-old in the future, but after his bronze at the AFBC African Confederation Boxing Championships, the future may be now.”
The games of the XXXI Olympiad were awarded to Rio in 2009 and will be the first South American city to ever host the summer games.
Beginning officially tonight, the games will feature 28 sports, including rugby sevens and golf for the first time.