Watch: Dana White Firmly Believes McGregor V Mayweather Will Happen

The long-running saga of a potential Conor McGregor versus Floyd Mayweather superfight has taken yet another significant twist.

Just last Saturday, during his tour of the UK, Mayweather sent a clear-cut message to McGregor when he announced he was officially out of retirement just for the Irish superstar.The 49-0 undefeated boxer made sure the entire audience was recording when he said,

“For Conor McGregor…I’m coming out of retirement just to fight Conor McGregor. I don’t want to hear no more excuses about the money, about the UFC. Sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain, let’s fight in June.”

On Monday, the likelihood of the ‘Billion-dollar fight’ becoming a reality edged one step closer as FloCombat reported the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas had put the June 10th date on hold for the potential showdown.

Later that day UFC president Dana White dismissed reports of an imminent fight announcement by telling TMZ, “(The fight) is nowhere near being done.” He also rejected the June 10th date by claiming, “There is no target date whatsoever.”

LAS VEGAS, NV – MARCH 03: UFC President Dana White interacts with the media during the UFC press conference at T-Mobile arena on March 3, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

However, on Wednesday White confirmed he would not block his company’s biggest asset from fighting the brash American. TMZ caught up with White and questioned whether a bout with Mayweather is still a possibility for the charismatic Irishman. The UFC’s leading man gave the most positive answer to date when he revealed,

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense for my business, but I would never keep Conor from making that kind of money.”

With the significant stumbling block of the UFC finally on board with bringing this fight to fruition, it seems McGregor’s next fight now has a very good chance of not being a cage.

White elaborated further on Conan on Wednesday night, wherein he told host Conon O’Brien that he believes that the fight will happen, in fact going so far as to say that he doesn’t see how the two men don’t eventually end up squaring off:

“I think it will happen.

“I think it’s going to be a tough deal, because obviously [there are] a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. On the flip side, there’s so much money involved. I just don’t see how it doesn’t happen.”

Comments

comments